Job Location: Sojourner House Domestic Violence Shelter (Woonsocket and Providence)
Position: Part Time working 12 to 24 hours per week, seeking candidates who are available for one or two shifts per week. Shifts currently available: Friday 8 pm- 8 am, Saturday 8 pm- 8 am, Sunday 9 pm -9am.
Reports to: Senior Director of Shelter Operations
Salary: $21/an hour
About Us: Sojourner House is a comprehensive domestic violence and sexual assault agency that provides residential, educational, and community-based interventions to families and individuals impacted by abuse. We have offices in Providence and Woonsocket; and programs that operate statewide. Our goal is to help our clients rebuild their lives, piece by piece, through a variety of services. All of our programs work from the premise that violence is an unacceptable means of solving interpersonal conflict, and we encourage only non-violent methods of working out conflicts.
Position Overview: Responsible for the overnight and/or daily operation of Sojourner House’s Shelter(s), which include a Safe House, shelter for victims of trafficking, and shelter for male-identified victims, crisis housing for youth ages 18-24, family crisis housing, and a variety of housing, as well as the helpline, creating an atmosphere of advocacy where guests are able to heal and redirect their lives. The ability to travel between shelter locations during the shift is necessary.
Principal duties and responsibilities:
- Maintain a safe and secure environment at all the shelter facilities.
- Provide all temporary guests of the shelters and crisis housing programs with the support and assistance they need including emotional support, education on domestic violence, sexual assault and human trafficking in adjusting to their new environment.
- Answer the helpline providing crisis intervention, emotional support, and referral information to clients.
- Check in on all emergency shelters (in Providence and Woonsocket) during the course of the assigned shift.
- Perform intake interviews and refer cases to full-time case managers if the shelter is the appropriate place for the client. If so, orient the client to the facility. If not, direct the client to the appropriate services available to them.
- Support clients to secure basic needs: food, clothing, safety, transportation, education, etc. Support their work towards their personal goals.
- Support guests to follow shelter rules and procedures, creating an environment of trust and community.
- Assist in the cleaning and maintenance of the facility as needed.
- Maintain communication with other shelter staff.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor or as required.
Experience & Special Skills:
- Associate’s degree or equivalent experience.
- One to two years in human services, domestic violence experience preferred, but not required.
- Must be organized and demonstrate strong leadership skills.
- Bilingual Spanish is a plus but not required.
- Computer literate in spreadsheet and word processing
- Able to work a flexible schedule.
- Reliable transportation: A valid diver license and access to a vehicle to travel between agency shelters/locations is required
- Must pass background investigation
COVID Policy Notice: Sojourner House has mandated that its employees obtain a COVID-19 vaccine. Eligible employees may request an exemption from this policy for medical or religious accommodation reasons by working with our Human Resources Department.
TO APPLY: Please send (1) a resume, (2) cover letter, and (3) contact information for three separate professional references to email@example.com with “Part Time Overnight Weekend Advocate” as the subject line. A cover letter is required for your application to be considered. Application materials may be mailed to Sojourner House instead of submitted electronically, send to: Sojourner House, Attn: HR Dept/Overnight Weekend Advocate, 386 Smith St, Providence, RI 02908. No phone calls, please.
Sojourner House is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. To learn more about our work, please visit: www.sojournerri.org.