POSITION: Legal Program Coordinator
LOCATION: Providence, RI
SCHEDULE: Full-time 37.50 worked hours per week. A flexible schedule may be required, including an evening shift during the week.
COMPENSATION: $26 to $28 per hour, depending on experience. Staff members are also eligible for paid time off, health/dental insurance, a 401(k) plan and matching employer contributions, a life insurance plan, long-term disability coverage, access to an Employee Assistance Program (EAP), and professional development opportunities.
ABOUT US: Sojourner House is a comprehensive domestic violence and sexual assault agency that provides residential, educational, and community-based interventions to families and individuals impacted by abuse. We have offices in Providence and Woonsocket and programs that operate statewide. Our goal is to help our clients rebuild their lives, piece by piece, through a variety of services. All of our programs work from the premise that violence is an unacceptable means to solving interpersonal conflict, and we encourage only non-violent methods of working out conflicts.
POSITION OVERVIEW: The main function of the Legal Program Coordinator is to assist in the development and implementation of a comprehensive state-wide legal program to assist victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, and human trafficking who are undocumented or under-documented, with a focus on youth under 21 years of age who may qualify for Special Immigrant Juvenile status.
PRINCIPAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with OVW TTA provider(s) to develop policies and procedures appropriate to the proposed legal department/program
- Work with OVW TTA provider(s) to develop a supervision and mentoring plan for project attorneys
- Revise project goals and objectives and submit them to OVW for review and approval
- Identify potential partners for inclusion in the project
- Provide project management to the legal program, including working with RI Legal Services, DCYF, Law enforcement agencies, and other partners of the project
- Prepare and submit timely data and program reports as required for grant compliance to the OVW
- Offer trainings to community partners
- Assist the Senior Director of Legal Programs in record and calendar keeping, as well as performing paralegal work
- Work alongside the other members of the legal program in the intake and assessments of potential clients
- Create a referral network for clients of the legal program
- Provide direct advocacy support, referrals, and interventions to victims accessing the legal program
- Assist the Senior Director of Legal Program in organizing clinics and community presentations
- Provide technical assistance to community partners to ensure that clients are appropriately screened for DV/SA and referred for follow-up services
- Build and maintain relationships with organizations and assist with ongoing outreach efforts to under-represented groups (including the refugee population, undocumented victims, special immigrant juveniles, etc.)
- Collect monthly survey data
- Generate quarterly grant reports for funders
- Participate in the program evaluation process with the legal team
- Provide assistance with the Sojourner House hotline, and provide support and referrals to clients who are in crisis or seeking resources
- Serve on statewide legal advocacy committees and taskforces
- Other related duties as assigned
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- A minimum of two years providing services or managing programs that provide services to victims of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, or stalking; or in the alternative, a minimum of two years of experience working in family law
- Ability to speak English and Spanish fluently (both written and oral) is preferred;
- Must be organized and detail-oriented;
- Be computer literate (Word, Excel, and general Internet skills);
- Have familiarity working with individuals of different cultures and backgrounds;
- Have experience developing and delivering community presentations;
- Have a demonstrated familiarity with underserved populations;
- Have comfort working individually and in teams;
- Have a familiarity with social service services in Rhode Island;
- Possess the ability to lift 25 pounds;
- Have the ability to work an irregular work schedule (subject to change), including an evening shift during the week;
- Applicant must pass a BCI check.
- Applicant must have a valid driver’s license and reliable access to a vehicle.
Please forward a resume, 2-3 professional references, and a cover letter that details how you meet the requirements of the job by email, with the subject line “Legal Program Coordinator,” to email@example.com. Applications may also be made via mail by sending the materials to Sojourner House, Attn HR/Legal Coordinator, 386 Smith St, Providence, RI 02908. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so early submissions are encouraged.
Sojourner House is an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. To learn more about Sojourner House, please visit www.sojournerri.org.